Re: Ext4 fiemap implementation

On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 09:25:04AM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 10:31:01AM +0200, Carlos Maiolino wrote:

> > > Just to throw another monkey wrench into the machine, have you
> > > considered using iomap_bmap() instead?  It's new for 4.18...
> >
> > No, but thanks, I'll look into it.
>
> You might also look at converting ext4 to use iomap_swapfile_activate
> since that's new too.  iomap_bmap won't report blocks for unwritten
> extents (because we shouldn't be pointing userspace at stale disk
> blocks), which breaks swapfiles with unwritten extents.

I believe the biggest problem in converting ext4 to iomap now, is the behavior
change in ext4's FIEMAP, which goes back to my main concern, converting ext4 to
use iomap infrastructure, will make ext4 start to report the start block as the
one first requested, while current behavior will report the first block on the
extent.

Unless Ted is ok with this change, I don't think we can do it, which will
probably affect users of ext4's current behavior.

--
Carlos