Re: i_version changes

On Thu, February 14, 2008 7:26 am, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> It's not OK to update it only sometimes.  If updates are made while nfsd
> isn't running, those needed to be reflected in the change attribute, so
> the changes aren't missed when nfsd comes back up.

For NFSD's needs, it is only necessary that changes in i_version that are
potentially visible over NFS actually be stored on disk.

You could come up with an interface where NFSD sets a flag when it reads
i_version, and changes to the file only change i_version if the flag is
set (at which point the flag is cleared).

This would give fully correct NFS semantics, and no overhead when NFS access
is not in use

This flag would need to be stored in stable storage too, so probably easiest
to make it the least significant bit of i_version.

Of course then the semantics of the new i_version are very different to
the old i_version, so maybe we need two fields in the inode....

NeilBrown

-