Re: ioctl FIBMAP for dax gone in v4.17-rc1

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 10:40 AM, Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Darrick J. Wong <darrick.wong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I take this to mean "don't fix, it is another casualty of dax being
>>> experimental and it won't be coming back". I can get on board with
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, I was about to send a series adding bmap to {xfs,ext2,ext4}_dax_ops.
>>
>> Frankly I'd rather see the swapfile code learn how to iomap and then we
>> can get rid of bmap in xfs entirely.
>
> Is anyone still using LILO to boot?  It needed FIBMAP support to map the
> kernel image for booting.  I don't know if Grub needs FIBMAP support for
> the early boot stages or not (it has minimal filesystem support in the
> later stages), but it would be a shame if it wasn't possible to boot an
> all-NVRAM system as a result of a missing ->bmap() method.  Alternately,
> convince the Grub folks to use FIEMAP if that is available...

For boot the recommendation is to use the BTT
(block-translation-table) to provide a sector-atomic block device for
the system-partition. Such a configuration does not support DAX mode
operation, so there should be no conflict. The EFI system partition is
also FAT in most cases which does not support DAX.