Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC ATTEND][RFD] ZUFS - Zero-copy User-mode File System

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 2:04 PM, Boaz Harrosh <openosd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have one question: If I understand  correctly you expect scalability
> and CPU locality to highly improve with the new version and the proper
> configuration. Do you also expect the single thread latency to improve
> as well?

I don't expect high improvement.  Just wondering, where fuse is now
and how much improvements can be had with various tweaks.

I expect CPU/NUMA locality can help, but that's not yet what the fuse
code does, so we cannot try it out.  What "clone_fd" does is improve
scalability, but even if enabled there are some bottlenecks in the
kernel part that could be improved.

Also I'm interested how much performance the zufs API brings compared
to fuse.  I understand the NIH pressure, but when inventing new
interfaces, you should understand the tradeoffs.   Even if you design
your interface perfectly for the first time (unlikely) you can miss
out on a lot of benefits of an existing, well proven and widely used
interface, such as existing apps that use that interface and the user
(and tester) base that comes with that.

So I'd definitely like to have some conversation about interfaces.

Thanks,
Miklos