Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC ATTEND][RFD] ZUFS - Zero-copy User-mode File System

> On Feb 2, 2018, at 10:49 AM, bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 08:59:18PM +0200, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
>> On 01/02/18 20:34, Chuck Lever wrote: <>
>>> This work was also presented at the SNIA Persistent Memory Summit
>>> last week.  The use case of course is providing a user space
>>> platform for the development and deployment of memory-based file
>>> systems. The value-add of this kind of file system is ultra-low
>>> latency, which is a challenge for the current most popular such
>>> framework, FUSE.
>>>
>>> To start, I can think of three areas where specific questions might
>>> be entertained by LSF/MM attendees:
>>>
>>> - Spectre mitigations make this whole "user space filesystem"
>>> arrangement even slower, thanks to additional context switches
>>> between user space and the kernel.
>
> I think you're referring to the KPTI patches, which address Meltdown,
> not Spectre.

I enabled KPTI on my NFS client and server systems in early
v4.15-rc, and didn't measure a change in latency or throughput.

But with v4.15 final, which includes some Spectre mitigations,
write(2) on NFS files, for example, takes about 15us longer.
Since the RPC round-trip times did not increase, I presume this
extra latency is incurred on the client, where the user-kernel
boundary transitions occur.

<shrug>

Anyway there's more latency in the user space-kernel transition
now. Thus any stack that adds more such transitions will need
attention. That would include FUSE, user-space file servers,
ZUFS, any activity that requires upcalls, and so on.

--
Chuck Lever