Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] fs-verity: file system-level integrity protection

On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 10:04:15AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> I think putting valid data beyond EOF is going to be problematic for
> many filesystems. Getting things like truncate right are hard enough
> without having to special case a bunch of new functionality that
> specifically allows IO access beyond EOF. Indeed, how does "truncate
> isize but leave special data behind" work and what's the userspace
> API to drive it? And how does it interact with all the page cache
> code that checks for page->index beyond EOF to detect a truncated
> page that should not be accessed?

This isn't an issue because once fs-verity protection is enabled, the
file becomes immutable.  That is, you can delete the file, but you
can't modify it afterwards --- so you don't have to truncate it.

We don't actually want userspace to be able to access pages beyond
i_size via read(2) or mmap(2), so I don't believe this to be a
problem.  It's only kernel code that needs to access the pages via
find_get_page.

Regards,

						- Ted