Re: [RFC] Handle EOF in case of not aligned direct io read in kernel

Hi!

On Mon 22-01-18 09:57:05, Joseph Qi wrote:
> Any comments on this case?
> Or should we definitely leave it to be handled in user space code?

Since direct IO is not defined by any standard we are free to define our
own semantics. Since the behavior has changed about 4 years ago, we'd break
userspace with about the same likelhood when going back to the old behavior
as when staying with the current one. And the new semantics makes sense as
well - unaligned direct IO reads reads are invalid even though in this
particular case we could also handle the read and return 0. So I'd prefer
to stay with the current behavior.

								Honza

--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxxx>