Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] A high-performance userspace block driver

On Tue, 2018-01-16 at 06:52 -0800, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> I see the improvements that Facebook have been making to the nbd driver,
> and I think that's a wonderful thing.  Maybe the outcome of this topic
> is simply: "Shut up, Matthew, this is good enough".
>
> It's clear that there's an appetite for userspace block devices; not for
> swap devices or the root device, but for accessing data that's stored
> in that silo over there, and I really don't want to bring that entire
> mess of CORBA / Go / Rust / whatever into the kernel to get to it,
> but it would be really handy to present it as a block device.
>
> I've looked at a few block-driver-in-userspace projects that exist, and
> they all seem pretty bad.  For example, one API maps a few gigabytes of
> address space and plays games with vm_insert_page() to put page cache
> pages into the address space of the client process.  Of course, the TLB
> flush overhead of that solution is criminal.
>
> I've looked at pipes, and they're not an awful solution.  We've almost
> got enough syscalls to treat other objects as pipes.  The problem is
> that they're not seekable.  So essentially you're looking at having one
> pipe per outstanding command.  If yu want to make good use of a modern
> NAND device, you want a few hundred outstanding commands, and that's a
> bit of a shoddy interface.
>
> Right now, I'm leaning towards combining these two approaches; adding
> a VM_NOTLB flag so the mmaped bits of the page cache never make it into
> the process's address space, so the TLB shootdown can be safely skipped.
> Then check it in follow_page_mask() and return the appropriate struct
> page.  As long as the userspace process does everything using O_DIRECT,
> I think this will work.
>
> It's either that or make pipes seekable ...

How about using the RDMA API and the rdma_rxe driver over loopback? The RDMA
API supports zero-copy communication which is something the BSD socket API
does not support. The RDMA API also supports byte-level granularity and the
hot path (ib_post_send(), ib_post_recv(), ib_poll_cq()) does not require any
system calls for PCIe RDMA adapters. The rdma_rxe driver however uses a system
call to trigger the send doorbell.

Bart.