Re: [RFC] Parallelize IO for e2fsck

> AIX basically did this with SIGDANGER (the signal is ignored by
> default), except there wasn't the ability for the process to tell the
> kernel at what level of memory pressure before it should start getting
> notified, and there was no way for the kernel to tell how bad the
> memory pressure actually was.  On the other hand, it was a relatively
> simple design.

AIX does provide a system call to find out how much paging backing store
space is available and the thresholds set by the system administrator.
Running out of paging space is the only memory pressure AIX is concerned
about.  While I think having processes make memory usage decisions based
on that is a shoddy way to manage system resources, that's what it is
intended for.

Incidentally, some context for the AIX approach to the OOM problem: a
process may exclude itself from OOM vulnerability altogether.  It places
itself in "early allocation" mode, which means at the time it creates
virtual memory, it reserves enough backing store for the worst case.  The
memory manager does not send such a process the SIGDANGER signal or
terminate it when it runs out of paging space.  Before c. 2000, this was
the only mode.  Now the default is late allocation mode, which is similar
to Linux.

--
Bryan Henderson                     IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA                         Filesystems

-