Re: Is concurrent file read/write with O_DIRECT flag atomic?

On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 09:59:49AM -0500, Leo Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologize if this topic is not proper for this mail list. I asked
> the question on other channel, but haven't got answers yet (see
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47245162/is-concurrent-file-read-write-with-o-direct-flag-atomic).
>
> Basically, I have a non-sparse binary file. A writer process opens the
> file using O_DIRECT flag, and it keeps calling pwrite() to update the
> first 128KB data of the file. Meanwhile, multiple readers also keeps
> calling pread() to read the first 128KB data. The readers open the
> file using O_DIRECT flag.
>
> Although I could not find any document saying that O_DIRECT guarantee
> atomicity of concurrent read/write,

That's because there isn't any.  Concurrent O_DIRECT I/O to the same
file or block device offset gives undefined results.

> I thought that the readers should
> read back consistent data.

Only if your IO size is a single sector. O_DIRECT gives no atomicity
guarantees for IOs larger than a single sector because the
underlying storage doesn't provide atomicity guarantees for
multi-sector IOs.

IOWs, O_DIRECT delegates all responsibility for IO and cache
coherence to userspace. Your app needs to provide synchronisation of
concurrent overlapping IO because the kernel will not do it for you
with O_DIRECT.

> Since the data to read/write from/to the
> file is block aligned, I assume that kernel would just submit a single
> scatter-gather command for one pwrite() or one pread().

So, you've got a RAID0 device that means the "single read IO" is split
and sent to 8 different devices, which all race with the "single
write IO" that was also split and sent to those 8 devices....

> I wrote a program to verify my thought. Surprisingly, the readers did
> occasionally read back mixed data. For example, in the first pwrite(),
> the writer writes all 0x11, and in the 2nd pwrite(), it writes all
> 0x22, and in the 3rd write, it writes all 0x33... Occasionally, a
> reader can read back data like "0x11, 0x11, .... 0x11, 0x22, 0x22....
> 0x22". The data appears to be from two consecutive pwrite() calls. I
> checked the offset where the broken starts. The offset seems to be
> sector-aligned (512-byte-aligned).

Yup, that's exactly where you'll see data changes (sector
boundaries) when you have concurrent IO races like this.

Cheers,

Dave.

--
Dave Chinner