32-bit stat returns wrong st_mtime if file timestamp does not fit in 32 bits

Florian Weimer suggested I write you about a bug in 'stat' and related system calls, a bug that will become more important as time goes on. The bug is that when running in a 32-bit application, 'stat' reports incorrect time stamps for files whose timestamps are so positive (or so negative) that they do not fit into 32-bit signed integers. POSIX says that such 'stat' calls should fail with errno == EOVERFLOW, and this is common practice elsewhere. However, the Linux kernel causes 'stat' to succeed in this situation, discarding the high-order bits of the time stamp.

This bug is causing gzip 'make test' to fail when built in 32-bit mode and running atop a 64-bit Linux kernel, as part of gzip's test for out-of-range file timestamps that are encoded in compressed gzip streams; see:

https://debbugs.gnu.org/bug=25636

I filed a bug report about 'stat' for Fedora here:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1419736

and Florian suggested that I raise the issue with you.

Is the intent is that all 32-bit Linux apps will migrate to x32 or some other model with 64-bit time_t, and that this will happen well before the year 2038 so the bug is unimportant? Or is the intent that the 32-bit Linux clock will wrap around after 2038 and go negative? Or is the intent something else? I'd like to know so that I can fix gzip and other applications and their test cases to match the intent.