Re: [RFC 1/1] destroy_creds.2: new page documenting destroy_creds()

On Wed, Aug 09 2017, Jeff Layton wrote:

> Thanks, that helps a bit. I'm less clear on what the higher-level
> vision is here though:
>
> Are we all going to be running scripts on logout that scrape
> /proc/mounts and run fslogout on each? Will this be added to kdestroy?
>
> Or are you aiming to have KCM do this on some trigger? (see:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/KerberosKCMCache)
>
> Also, doing this per-mount seems wrong to me. Shouldn't this be done on
> a per-net-namespace basis or maybe even globally?

Having looked at the code, I think this is invalidating cached
credentials globally -- or at least, globally for all filesystems that
use sunrpc.

I actually question the premise for wanting to do this.  Tickets have a
timeout and will expire.  Any code that is allowed to get a ticket, can
hold on to it as long as it likes - but it will cease to work after the
expiry time.  Hunting out all the places that a key might be cached, and
invalidating them, seems to deviate from the model.  If you are concerned
about leaving credentials around where they can theoretically be
misused, then set a smaller expiry time.

What is the threat-model that this change is supposed to guard against?

Looking that the syscall itself:
 1/ why restrict the call to directories only?
 2/ Every new syscall should have a 'flags' argument, because you never
    know when you'll need one.

NeilBrown