Re: [patch 01/19] Define functions for page cache handling

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:

> These will of course all work OK as they are presently implemented.
>
> But you have callsites doing things like
>
> 	page_cache_size(page_mapping(page));
>
> which is a whole different thing.  Once page_cache_size() is changed to
> look inside the address_space we need to handle races against truncation
> and we need to handle the address_space getting reclaimed, etc.

Right. The page must be locked for that to work right. I tried to avoid
the above construct as much as possible by relying on the inode mapping. I
can go over this again to make sure that there is nothing amiss after the
recent changes.

> So I think it would be misleading to merge these changes at present - they
> make it _look_ like we can have variable PAGE_CACHE_SIZE just by tweaking a
> bit of core code, but we in fact cannot do that without a careful review of
> all callsites and perhaps the addition of new locking and null-checking.

The mapping is generally available in some form if you cannot get it from
the page. In some cases I added a new parameter to functions to pass the
mapping so that we do not have to use page->mapping. I can recheck that
all is fine on that level.

> And a coding nit: when you implement the out-of-line versions of these
> functions you're going to stick with VFS conventions and use the identifier
> `mapping' to identify the address_space*.  So I think it would be better to
> also call in `mapping' in these inlined stubbed functions, rather than `a'.
> No?

Ok. A trivial change. But a is shorter and made the
functions more concise.

-