Re: UFS s_maxbytes bogosity

On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 10:58:38PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:

> ought to calculate the right thing for modern UFS variants; I would
> leave the anything other than UFS_MOUNT_UFSTYPE_44BSD and
> UFS_MOUNT_UFSTYPE_UFS2 alone.

If anyone wants to spend time worrying about ancient UFS
incompatilities, or wants to find someone who might care, there's the
The Unix Heritage Society mailing list[1].  (Don't bother trying to
post the list without subscribing first, the list is run even more
strictly than DaveM, and postings from people who aren't subscribers
get unceremoniously dropped on the floor.)

Among other things, recents discussion on this list discuss security
vulnerabilities (stack buffer overruns, et.al) on V6 and V7 Unix, and
there are people on that list who will bring up historical versions of
Unix on emulators, et. al.

More seriously, many of UFS variants don't have any way of
distinguishing between what version they are, or are safe to mount on
which version of Unix.  There's a reason why ext2/3/4 has rather
feature compatibility masks; UFS demonstrated the joys of what happens
when you don't bother with that kind of compatibility markers in file
systems.  So focusing just on what FreeBSD and other modern BSD
implementation use is a completely fair thing to do.  The enthusiasts
on TUHS are perfectly capable of sending patches if they care about V6
Unix <-> Linux compatibility.  :-)

     					- Ted