Assigning s_user_ns at mount time?

I have a use case where I have an NFS4 mount that doesn't support ID
mapping. Some of my NFS4 clients are "bare metal", and others are
containers. All of the containers use user namespaces, so their UIDs
don't match up with the UIDs used on the bare metal. This becomes
problematic, especially when using third-party software.

If the NFS4 sb's s_user_ns was the container's user ns, as opposed to
the init user ns, it would solve this problem. In fact, the mount
namespace of the container is associated with the container's user
namespace. Are there any plans to make it so that there is a mount
option to utilize the current mount ns's user ns, as opposed to the
mounting process's user ns as s_user_ns?

Although I don't want the user namespace to be able to mount NFS
volumes, I think it's reasonable, and safe to orchestrate the mount
from init user ns, and use my container user ns to interpret uids, and
such. Alternatively, the shiftfs patches that are floating around
would also solve this, but they don't seem ready yet.

Alternatively, if it makes sense to make s_user_ns swappable via an
ioctl, I'd be in support of that as well, but I'm not sure about
potential issues (bar concurrency) associated with that.

-Thanks,
Sargun