Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ceph distributed file system

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Bryan Henderson wrote:
> >Ceph is a distributed network file system ...
>
> What's distributed about it?  As described, it sounds highly centralized.
> Do you mean it is distributed across the nodes of the central server
> clusters?  Or just that it's a shared filesystem (multiple clients can use
> it at the same time)?

Both, actually, although there isn't necessarily a strong distinction
between the 'central server cluster' and client nodes.  For example,
storage nodes can double as client nodes (as in a cluster doing
distributed computation or some such thing).

The system is distributed in the sense that there is no central server
limiting scalability.  Data storage is distributed across a large cluster
of storage nodes (bricks or OSDs), and the metadata (namespace) is managed
by a smaller cluster of metadata servers, allowing shared access to the
filesystem by many many clients.  Aggregate I/O throughput and capacity
can be scaled more or less independently from metadata throughput
(namespace manipulation) by adjusting the number of nodes devoted to each.

sage
-