Re: statx manpage

> [...]
> .br
> .B #include <unistd.h>
> .br
> .BR "#include <fcntl.h>           " "/* Definition of AT_* constants */"
> .sp
> .BI "int statx(int " dirfd ", const char *" pathname ", int " flags ","
> .BI "          unsigned int " mask ", struct statx *" buf );
> .fi
> .sp
> .in -4n
> Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see
> .BR feature_test_macros (7)):
> .in
> .ad l
> .PD 0
> .sp
> .RS 4
> <unknown as yet>
> .RE
> .PD
> .ad
> .SH DESCRIPTION
> .PP
> This function returns information about a file, storing it in the buffer
> pointed to by
> .IR buf .
> The buffer is filled in according to the following type:
> .PP
> .in +4n
> .nf
> struct statx {
>    __u32 stx_mask;          -- Mask of bits indicating filled fields
>    __u32 stx_blksize;       -- Block size for filesystem I/O
>    __u64 stx_attributes;    -- Extra file attribute indicators
>    __u32 stx_nlink;         -- Number of hard links
>    __u32 stx_uid;           -- User ID of owner
>    __u32 stx_gid;           -- Group ID of owner
>    __u16 stx_mode;          -- File type and mode
>    __u64 stx_ino;           -- Inode number
>    __u64 stx_size;          -- Total size in bytes
>    __u64 stx_blocks;        -- Number of 512B blocks allocated
>    struct statx_timestamp stx_atime;  -- Time of last access
>    struct statx_timestamp stx_btime;  -- Time of creation
>    struct statx_timestamp stx_ctime;  -- Time of last status change
>    struct statx_timestamp stx_mtime;  -- Time of last modification
>    __u32 stx_rdev_major;    } Device number if device file
>    __u32 stx_rdev_minor;    }
>    __u32 stx_dev_major;      } Device number of containing file
>    __u32 stx_dev_minor;      }
> };
> .fi
> .in
> .PP
> Where the timestamps are defined as:
> .PP
> .in +4n
> .nf
> struct statx_timestamp {
>    __s64 tv_sec;    -- Number of seconds before or since 1970
>    __s32 tv_nsec;   -- Number of nanoseconds before or since tv_sec
> };
> .fi
> .in
> .PP
> (Note that reserved space and padding is ommitted)

Do you think that not including the padding could be problematic for users?

> [...]
> .I statx
> structure may contain state information from different moments
> during the execution of the system call.
> For example, if
> .IR stx_mode
> or
> .IR stx_uid
> is changed by another process by calling
> .BR chmod (2)
> or
> .BR chown (2),
> .BR stat ()
> might return the old
> .I stx_mode
> together with the new
> .IR stx_uid ,
> or the old
> .I stx_uid
> together with the new
> .IR stx_mode .
> .PP
> Apart from stx_mask (which is described above), the fields in the
> .I statx
> structure are:
> .TP
> .I stx_mode
> The file type and mode.  This is described in more detail below.
> .TP
> .I stx_size
> The size of the file (if it is a regular file or a symbolic link) in bytes.
> The size of a symbolic link is the length of the pathname it contains, without
> a terminating null byte.
> .TP
> .I stx_blocks
> The number of blocks allocated to the file on the medium, in 512-byte units.
> (This may be smaller than
> .IR stx_size /512
> when the file has holes.)
> .TP
> .I stx_blksize
> The "preferred" blocksize for efficient filesystem I/O.  (Writing to a file in
> smaller chunks may cause an inefficient read-modify-rewrite.)
> .TP
> .I stx_nlink
> The number of hard links on a file.
> .TP
> .I stx_uid
> The user ID of the file's owner.
> .TP
> .I stx_gid
> The ID of the group that may access the file.
> .TP
> .IR stx_dev_major " and "  stx_dev_minor
> The device on which this file (inode) resides.
> .TP
> .IR stx_rdev_major " and "  stx_rdev_minor
> The device that this file (inode) represents if the file is of block or
> character device type.
> .TP
> .I stx_attributes
> Further status information about the file.  This consists of zero or more of
> the following constants OR'ed together:
> .in +4n
> .TS
> lB l.
> STATX_ATTR_COMPRESSED	File is compressed by the fs
> STATX_ATTR_IMMUTABLE	File is marked immutable

This definition is circular...  Maybe "File cannot be changed once closed"?

> STATX_ATTR_APPEND	File is append-only

This is also circular.  Maybe "file can only be written after .B stx_size"?

> STATX_ATTR_NODUMP	File is not to be dumped

This one is also circular.  Maybe "not to be included in backups"?

> [...]
> .BR truncate (2),
> .BR utime (2),
> and
> .BR write (2)
> (of more than zero bytes).  Moreover, the modification time of a directory is
> changed by the creation or deletion of files in that directory.  This field is
> .I not
> changed for changes in owner, group, hard link count, or mode.
>

> .PP
> Not all of the Linux filesystems implement all of the timestamp fields.  Some
> filesystems allow mounting in such a way that file and/or directory accesses do
> not cause an update of the
> .I stx_atime
> field.
> (See
> .IR noatime ,
> .IR nodiratime ,
> and
> .I relatime
> in
> .BR mount (8),
> and related information in
> .BR mount (2).)
> In addition,
> .I stx_atime
> is not updated if a file is opened with the
> .BR O_NOATIME ;
> see
> .BR open (2).
>
> .SS File type and mode
> .PP
> The
> .I stx_mode
> field contains the combined file type and mode.  POSIX refers to the bits in
> this field corresponding to the mask
> .B S_IFMT
> (see below) as the
> .IR "file type" ,
> the 12 bits corresponding to the mask 07777 as the
> .IR "file mode bits"
> and the least significant 9 bits (0777) as the
> .IR "file permission bits" .
> .IP
> The following mask values are defined for the file type of the
> .I stx_mode
> field:
> .in +4n
> .TS
> lB l l.
> S_IFMT	0170000	bit mask for the file type bit field
>
> S_IFSOCK	0140000	socket
> S_IFLNK	0120000	symbolic link
> S_IFREG	0100000	regular file
> S_IFBLK	0060000	block device
> S_IFDIR	0040000	directory
> S_IFCHR	0020000	character device
> S_IFIFO	0010000	FIFO
> .TE
> .in
> .IP
> Note that
> .I stx_mode
> has two mask flags covering it: one for the type and one for the mode bits.
> .PP
> To test for a regular file (for example), one could write:
> .nf
> .in +4n
> statx(AT_FDCWD, pathname, 0, STATX_BASIC_STATS, &sb);
> if ((sb.stx_mode & S_IFMT) == S_IFREG) {

Two notes on these two examples:
- users unfamiliar with statx() may benefit from seeing STATX_TYPE used
  here instead of STATX_BASIC_STATS
- the check should also look for the presence of STATX_TYPE in the
  returned stx_mask to ensure it is valid before use?

   To test whether a path is a regular file (for example), one could write:
   .nf
   .in +4n
   rc = statx(AT_FDCWD, pathname, 0, STATX_TYPE, &stx);
   if (stx.stx_mask & STATX_TYPE && S_ISREG(sb.stx_mode)) {
      /* Handle regular file */
   }

> Because tests of the above form are common, additional macros are defined by
> POSIX to allow the test of the file type in
> .I stx_mode
> to be written more concisely:

Should this all just reference the existing stat(2) man page instead of
duplicating the whole contents here?  This is spending a lot of space
discussing the stx_mode field which could be avoided.

> [...]
> has several special uses.
> For a directory, it indicates that BSD semantics is to be used
> for that directory: files created there inherit their group ID from
> the directory, not from the effective group ID of the creating process,
> and directories created there will also get the
> .B S_ISGID
> bit set.
> For a file that does not have the group execution bit
> .RB ( S_IXGRP )
> set,
> the set-group-ID bit indicates mandatory file/record locking.
> .P
> The sticky bit
> .RB ( S_ISVTX )
> on a directory means that a file
> in that directory can be renamed or deleted only by the owner
> of the file, by the owner of the directory, and by a privileged
> process.
>

> .SH RETURN VALUE
> On success, zero is returned.
> On error, \-1 is returned, and
> .I errno
> is set appropriately.
> .SH ERRORS
> .TP
> .B EINVAL
> Invalid flag specified in
> .IR flags .
> .TP
> .B EACCES
> Search permission is denied for one of the directories
> in the path prefix of
> .IR pathname .
> (See also
> .BR path_resolution (7).)
> .TP
> .B EBADF
> .I dirfd
> is not a valid open file descriptor.
> .TP
> .B EFAULT
> Bad address.
> .TP
> .B ELOOP
> Too many symbolic links encountered while traversing the path.
> .TP
> .B ENAMETOOLONG
> .I pathname
> is too long.
> .TP
> .B ENOENT
> A component of
> .I pathname
> does not exist, or
> .I pathname
> is an empty string.
> .TP
> .B ENOMEM
> Out of memory (i.e., kernel memory).
> .TP
> .B ENOTDIR
> A component of the path prefix of
> .I pathname
> is not a directory or
> .I pathname
> is relative and
> .I dirfd
> is a file descriptor referring to a file other than a directory.
> .SH VERSIONS
> .BR statx ()
> was added to Linux in kernel 4.11;
> library support is not yet added to glibc.

Maybe stat(2) ? :-)

> .BR access (2),
> .BR chmod (2),
> .BR chown (2),