Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] getting statx() syscall merged

On Mon, 2017-01-09 at 11:25 +0000, David Howells wrote:
> Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > David Howells has been working several years to get the statx() syscall
> > into the kernel, but it seems to perpetually be blocked by minor bikeshed
> > discussions.  What is needed to finally get this landed?  Can we agree
> > that the current (now very minimal and stripped-down) interface is OK
> > and just agree to land it?
>
> That would be great - but it mostly depends on Al at the moment.

...and it's now merged in v4.11, so I don't think we need to discuss
how to get this merged at LSF.

What we may want to do is convert this into a discussion of other
topics related to statx:

What criteria should we insist on for exposing new attributes via
statx? There was pushback about presenting dos attributes, which is why
I'm asking.

What attributes that aren't exposed yet do we want to add next? I've
done some preliminary work to make i_version a bit more consistent
across filesystems, which seems like something that could be very
useful for applications.

What about glibc support? Test coverage? Are those planned?

Once the dust settles from this merge, it might also be good to start
considering a bona-fide readdirplus interface. Has anyone given thought
as to what that should look like?

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>