Re: fs/crypt ioctl and attr

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 05:52:15PM +0800, Anand Jain wrote:

>  Sure. Hope I could confirm it here, that is - if its ok to entirely use
>  setfattr / getfattr to read and write fs/crypto policy.

The controls on when it is legal to set a crypto policy on a file are
different than for a normal extended attribute.  Furthermore, what is
stored on disk is a combination of the fscrypt policy --- which is a
fixed part of the userspace API --- and the some per-file
cryptoggraphic nonces which are generated by the kernel, and which is
subject to change in the future depending on the changes in the key
derivation algorithm, the cipher used, etc.

For this reason using the standard xattr interface is **strongly**
frowned upon.  Using setfattr / getfattr for something that *isn't*
the standard user extended attribute has been a mess, and is
considered a mistake that shouldn't be repeated.

This is why I chose to use a separate ioctl instead of trying to
bastardize the setfattr / getfattr interface for something which is
fundamentally *not* about setting an extended attribute.

There was discussion on linux-fsdevel a few months back where someone
else wanted to perpetrate a similar abuse of the the set/get extended
attribute interface, and other folks (I think it was Christoph and
Dave Chinner) who argued very strongly that it wsa a bad, Bad, BAD,
*BAD* idea.

Cheers,

						- Ted