Re: [TOPIC][LSF/MM ATTEND] container aware filesystems

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 9:46 PM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to attend LSF/MM mostly to participate in the storage topics
> discussion, but also because containers is starting to need some
> features from the VFS.

I am also interested in intersection of containers with file systems,
but I haven't
seen a topic proposal for it, so adding TOPIC tag to Jame's email.

Specifically, many containers use overlayfs which makes the role of the
traditional file system an infrastructure layer, much like block and mm.

How the backing file system interacts with overlayfs may have significant
effect on the end users. The most prominent example is how clone support
in backing fs removes a big pain for large files copy up.

Another example of rather simple backing file system support that can
improve overlayfs containers user performance:
- API to set d_type for of dentries to optimize overlay dir iteration [1]

I guess James had more use cases in mind, so maybe others do as well.

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-unionfs/msg01401.html