Re: Proposal to improve filesystem/block snapshot interaction

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 06:35:08PM +0900, Dongjun Shin wrote:
> On 10/30/07, Greg Banks <gnb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > BIO_HINT_RELEASE
> >     The bio's block extent is no longer in use by the filesystem
> >     and will not be read in the future.  Any storage used to back
> >     the extent may be released without any threat to filesystem
> >     or data integrity.
> >

> I'd like to second the proposal, but it would be more useful to bring the hint
> down to the physical devices.
>
> There is an ongoing discussion about adding 'Trim' ATA command for notifying
> the drive about the deleted blocks.
>
> http://www.t13.org/Documents/UploadedDocuments/docs2007/e07154r3-Data_Set_Management_Proposal_for_ATA-ACS2.pdf

What an interesting document.  Am I reading the change markup correctly,
did it get *simpler* in the last revision?  Wow.

I agree that BIO_HINT_RELEASE would be a good match for the proposed
Trim command.  But I don't think we'll ever be issuing Trims with
more than a single LBA Range Entry, that feature seems unhelpful.

The Trim proposal doesn't specify what happens when a sector which
is already deallocated is deallocated again, presumably this is
supposed to be harmless?

Greg.
--
Greg Banks, R&D Software Engineer, SGI Australian Software Group.
Apparently, I'm Bedevere.  Which MPHG character are you?