Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Badblocks checking/representation in filesystems

Hello,
Virshal-san.

First of all, your discussion is quite interesting for me. Thanks.

> > If DUE does happen and is flagged to the file system via MCE (somehow...),
> > and the fs finds that the error corrupts its allocated data page, or
> > metadata, now if the fs wants to recover its data the intuition is that
> > there needs to be a stronger error correction mechanism to correct the
> > hardware-uncorrectable errors. So knowing the hardware ECC baseline is
> > helpful for the file system to understand how severe are the faults in
> > badblocks, and develop its recovery methods.
>
> Like mentioned before, this discussion is more about presentation of
> errors in a known consumable format, rather than recovering from errors.
> While recovering from errors is interesting, we already have layers
> like RAID for that, and they are as applicable to NVDIMM backed storage
> as they have been for disk/SSD based storage.

I have one question here.

Certainly, user can use LVM mirroring for storage mode of NVDIMM.
However, NVDIMM has DAX mode.
Can user use LVM mirroring for NVDIMM DAX mode?
I could not find any information that LVM support DAX....

In addition, current specs of NVDIMM (*) only define interleave feature of NVDIMMs.
They does not mention about mirroring feature.
So, I don't understand how to use mirroring for DAX.

(*) "NVDIMM Namespace Specification" , "NVDIMM Block Window Driver Writer’s Guide",
       and "ACPI 6.1"

Regards,
---
Yasunori Goto