Re: [Lsf-pc] [ATTEND] many topics

On Tue 17-01-17 21:49:45, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> 1. Exploiting multiorder radix tree entries.  I believe we would do well
> to attempt to allocate compound pages, insert them into the page cache,
> and expect filesystems to be able to handle filling compound pages with
> ->readpage.  It will be more efficient because alloc_pages() can return
> large entries out of the buddy list rather than breaking them down,
> and it'll help reduce fragmentation.

Kirill has patches to do this and I don't like the complexity it adds to
pagecache handling code and each filesystem that would like to support
this. I don't have objections to the general idea but the complexity of the
current implementation just looks too big to me...

> 2. Supporting filesystem block sizes > page size.  Once we do the above
> for efficiency, I think it then becomes trivial to support, eg 16k block
> size filesystems on x86 machines with 4k pages.

Heh, you wish... :) There's a big difference between opportunistically
allocating a huge page and reliably have to provide high order page. Memory
fragmentation issues will be difficult to deal with...

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxxx>
SUSE Labs, CR