Re: Caching semi-digested credentials in struct cred

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 16:45 +0100, David Howells wrote:
> Trond Myklebust <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > If you'd rather, I can just drop the credentials into the NFS VFS methods
> > > and leave it for you to make work.
> >
> > The latter sounds good for the moment. There are several people who are
> > working on the rpc auth code, and thus have an interest here, so it will
> > take some time to work out a consensus for what needs to be done.
>
> The problem with that is that there are bits in the bottom of the sunrpc stuff
> that assume they can use current->fs[ug]id (rpcauth_lookupcred() for example),
> which is the reason for passing this pointer all the way down:-/

I don't think anybody has problems with the concept of replacing
current-> with cred-> in rpcauth_lookupcred(). That reflects the
(desirable) change to the way the VFS communicates authorisation
information to the lower level code.

What we don't want at this time is for any changes that go beyond that
minimal approach. It will take time to digest the consequences of the
existence of a generic credential, and it is not clear to us at this
time that changes to the rpc_cred caching mechanism (as opposed to just
the lookup key) is the right thing to do.

Trond
-