Re: an iomap-based direct I/O implementation V3

On 11/22/2016 05:02 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 04:12:56PM -0700, Jens Axboe wrote:
On 11/22/2016 03:52 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 08:07:29PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
Hi all,

this series adds a new direct I/O implementation based on the iomap
interface, and switches XFS to use it.

The first two patches are a resend of my earlier series to remove the
XFS iolock.  They are needed for the lockdep assert in the new iomap
code.

The rest implements a new iomap_dio_rw direct I/O implementation and
switches XFS to use it.

Note that this series is on top of a merge of the XFS for-next
tree with the block tree, which has a new helper needed for this
implementation.  This is the block tree it's on top of:

   git://git.kernel.dk/linux-block for-4.10/block

This tree fails compilation for me.

block/blk-flush.c: In function "flush_data_end_io":
block/blk-flush.c:369:20: error: "REQ_STARTED" undeclared (first use in this function)
 rq->cmd_flags &= ~REQ_STARTED;
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~
block/blk-flush.c:369:20: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in

Should be RQF_STARTED, right?

My branch is fine, I'm guessing it's Christophs merge with master that
broke things.

No, I merged an hour old for-4.10/block into a pristine 4.9-rc6 tree
and got this error.

Right, then you also missed it ;-)

The blk-flush.c thing doesn't throw a merge conflict, but
you still have to resolve it...

I've never seen an unreported merge problem like this before - if
there are hunks being silently dropped on the floor during a merge,
then I'd say we have a git bug.... Indeed, there were reported
conflicts I resolved, but there was nothing that pointed me at the
above being a merge issue until after I'd committed the merge and
went to build the result...

It's because for-4.10/block was branched off before a fix that went into
4.9 later on, which added the the clearing of started:

commit 94d7dea448fae6cbb83395323c1d2fd7f19dc388