Lock ordering in iomap code

Hi Christoph,

when converting ext4 DAX path to iomap code I've come across one locking
issue: Buffered writes for iomap code work through iomap_write_actor
function. What that ends up doing is that it calls fs to map extent of
blocks (->iomap_begin in iomap_apply()) and then proceeds to lock pages in
iomap_write_actor() and copy data to them. Then ->iomap_end is called to
finish work for that extent.

OTOH page faults for iomap code work through iomap_page_mkwrite() which
first grabs page lock and then calls iomap_apply() which ends up calling
->iomap_begin(). So this effectively nests all locks acquired in
->iomap_begin() under page lock. This makes it impossible for any lock to
be held between ->iomap_begin() and ->iomap_end() as you immediately get
lock inversion between this lock and page lock. Also any lock acquired in
->iomap_begin() gets nested under page lock and that is already no-go for
ext4 as we need to start a transaction there and that needs to happen
before grabbing page lock. I believe this is a bug in iomap_page_mkwrite()
but wanted to check with you... The slight trouble is that when we change
iomap_page_mkwrite() to work similarly to buffered write path, we have to
watch out for races with truncate - both xfs and ext4 have these "mmap
locks" which protect against that but the iomap fault code will be relying
on fs properly serializing it against truncate which was not the case with
the old fault path. So we'll probably need some comments about that in the
code.

Somewhat related issue is that the old buffered write handled by
generic_perform_write() made block mapping for a page happen under a page
lock while the new iomap code does that before grabbing page lock. This
opens a new set of races possible between write(2) and page fault (page
fault can now see a state of page and block allocation information after
->iomap_begin() was called but before the data got copied into the page). I
have yet to think through all the possible implications but this will
definitely need a close checking...

And DAX iomap code has similar issues, only instead of the page lock the
radix tree entry lock is in the game...

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxxx>