Re: how do versioning filesystems take snapshot of opened files?

OK. From discussion above, can we reach a conclusion: from the
application perspective, it is very hard, if not impossible, to take a
transactional consistent snapshot without the help from applications?

Chris, you mentioned that "Many different applications support some
form of pausing in order to facilitate live backups. " Can you provide
some examples? I mean popular apps.

Finally, if we back up a little bit, say, we don't care the
transaction level consistency ( a transaction that open/close many
times), but we want a open/close consistency in snapshots. That is, a
file in a snapshot must be in a single version, but it can be in a
middle state of a transaction. Can we do that? Pausing apps itself
does not solve this problem, because a file could be already opened
and in the middle of write. As I mentioned earlier, some systems can
backup old data every time new data is written, but I suspect that
this will impact the system performance quite a bit. Any idea about
that?

Thanks.

On 7/3/07, Chris Mason <chris.mason@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:31:49 -0400
"Xin Zhao" <uszhaoxin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's a good point!
>
> But this sounds hopeless to take a real consistent snapshot from app
> perspective unless you shutdown the computer. Right?

Many different applications support some form of pausing in order
to facilitate live backups.  You just have to keep it all in mind when
designing the total backup solution.

-chris

-