Re: VFAT: slow fs corruption? [long]

Hi Ben!

Thanks a lot for your comments, and sorry for the late reply, I did more tests in the meantime...

Am 19.04.07 01:00 schrieb(en) Benjamin LaHaise:
On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 07:58:40PM +0200, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> - Are there known issues with VFAT in 2.6.11 which might lead to the > observed problems? Were they fixed? > - Is it possible to change the block size in ext2 to 16k (to match the SD > card's erase block size)?

Flash cards tend to be rather flaky given that they are low cost consumergrade commodities these days. I would recommend getting a new card firstand seeing if you can still replicate the problem.

I am afraid my explanation was not completely clear: I reformatted the *same* card which gave a lot of VFAT errors with ext2 and ran the test again. Up to now, I filled the card several times and erased it, without any problem. Only after killing (switch power off) the system in mid-air, I had a non-clean fs and one broken file (which is not surprising, afaik), giving input/output errors when I tried to read it.

So my first observation, that VFAT corrupts "somehow", but ext2 doesn't, still seems to be valid!

Out of the box, I've had to replace 2 of 8 flash cards in the last 6 months when they showed similiarly eerie data corruption when files disappeared.

Yes, I know... Unfortunately, it's not possible to get reliable data about the achievable life time.

Doing an md5sum on the device 2 times in a row and getting back different results is Not Good.

Good idea - will be the next check!

Thanks, Albrecht.

--
 Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
       Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@xxxxxxxx