Re: [ANNOUNCE] DualFS: File System with Meta-data and Data Separation

>The new file
>system puts data and meta-data on different devices (usually, two
>partitions on the same disk or different disks), [...]

	I can intuitively see the benefits in terms of disk arm motion.

	For example, mkfs, fsck, and chmod -R would involve seeks
entirely within the metadata partition, which might be 5% the size of
the data partition.  If the disk arm spends half its time accelerating
and half decelerating, then seeking a certain distance D, should take
roughly sqrt(D) time, so reducing this average seek distance when
metadata operations follow each other would reduce average disk arm
motion time by a factor of almost 4.5, although rotational delays
would be unaffected.

	It is also possible that your log structured metadata file
system might be improving locality further by separating unused blocks
from used blocks on the scale of disk tracks.  When disk reads a
sector in a segment of a log structured file system, the disk drive
will bascially cache the whole track, and the other sectors on that
track will be more likely to have valid data, thanks to the cleaner.
Of course, this has to be compared to similar benefits from the layout
policies other file systems.

	On another subject, it would reduce system administration
overhead down to the level of other file systems if your file system
could could run on a single logical device and just have a policy of
having the metadata area concenrtated in a particular place on the
logical device (probably the middle), so that the file system would
automatically accomodate changing ratios of data to metadata.  This
would also make it easier to run the whole thing on an interleaved
RAID.  Retaining the ability to put metadata on a separate device
would still be useful for putting metadata in a different type of
device (such as a faster spinning disk or flash).

Adam Richter
-