Re: Fix(es) for ext2 fsync bug

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 11:54:54AM -0800, Valerie Henson wrote:
> Just some quick notes on possible ways to fix the ext2 fsync bug that
> eXplode found.  Whether or not anyone will bother to implement it is
> another matter.
>
> Background: The eXplode file system checker found a bug in ext2 fsync
> behavior.  Do the following: truncate file A, create file B which
> reallocates one of A's old indirect blocks, fsync file B.  If you then
> crash before file A's metadata is all written out, fsck will complete
> the truncate for file A... thereby deleting file B's data.  So fsync
> file B doesn't guarantee data is on disk after a crash.  Details:
>
> http://www.stanford.edu/~engler/explode-osdi06.pdf
>
> Two possible solutions I can think of:
>
> * Rearrange order of duplicate block checking and fixing file size in
>   fsck.  Not sure how hard this is. (Ted?)
>
> * Keep a set of "still allocated on disk" block bitmaps that gets
>   flushed whenever a sync happens.  Don't allocate these blocks.
>   Journaling file systems already have to do this.

You don't need anything on disk or to fsck to fix this problem -
just avoid it completely by keeping a list of recently truncated
blocks in memory and don't reuse them until the old owner inode is
sync'd to disk.

XFS solves this problem in exactly this manner - it keeps a list of
recently freed blocks whose freeing transactions have not yet been
committed to disk to prevent them from being reused before it is
safe to. See xfs_alloc_search_busy() and callers - if we try to
reallocate a "busy" extent, we force the log to get the free
transaction on disk before allowing the block to be reusued...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner