Re: Finding hardlinks

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Bryan Henderson wrote:

> >but you can get a large number of >1 linked
> >files, when you copy full directories with "cp -rl".  Which I do a lot
> >when developing. I've done that a few times with the Linux tree.
>
> Can you shed some light on how you use this technique?  (I.e. what does it
> do for you?)
>
> Many people are of the opinion that since the invention of symbolic links,
> multiple hard links to files have been more trouble than they're worth.  I
> purged the last of them from my personal system years ago.  This thread
> has been a good overview of the negative side of hardlinking; it would be
> good to see what the positives are.

Basically, if you are going to work on several archs at once, it's nice to
be able to download one tree from kernel.org, do a bunch of cp -lr for
each arch you plan to play with, and then go and work on each of the trees
separately.  And you are always working on the same files for each
directory, but can compile them differently.

-- Steve

-