Re: Finding hardlinks

> I think "statement 2" is extremely important.  Without this guarantee
> applications have to guess which files are hardlinks.  Any guessing
> is going to be be got wrong sometimes with potentially disastrous
> results.

actually no. Statement 1 will tell them when the kernel knows they are
hardlinks. It's the kernels job to make a reasonably quality of
implementation so that that works most of the time.

Statement 2 requires that "all of the time" which suddenly creates a lot
of evil corner cases (like "what if I mount a network filesystem twice
and the server doesn't quite tell me enough to figure it out" cases) to
make it impractical.

Think of it as the difference between good and perfect.
(and perfect is the enemy of good :)

the kernel will tell you when it knows within reason, via statement 1
technology. It's not perfect, but reasonably will be enough for normal
userspace to depend on it. Your case is NOT a case of "I require 100%"..
it's a "we'd like to take hardlinks into account" case.

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org

-