Re: NFSv4/pNFS possible POSIX I/O API standards

Rob Ross wrote:
File size is definitely one of the more difficult of the parameters, either because (a) it isn't stored in one place but is instead derived, or (b) because a lock has to be obtained to guarantee consistency of the returned value.

OK, and looking at the man page again, it is already on the list in the old proposal and hence optional. I've no problem with that.

I can't speak for everyone, but "ls" is the #1 consumer as far as I am concerned.

So a syscall for ls alone?

I think this is more a user problem. For normal plain old 'ls' you get by with readdir. For 'ls -F' and 'ls --color' you mostly get by with readdir+d_type. If you cannot provide d_type info the readdirplus extension does you no good. For the cases when an additional stat is needed (for symlinks, for instance, to test whether they are dangling) readdirplus won't help.

So, readdirplus is really only useful for 'ls -l'. But then you need st_size and st_?time. So what is gained with readdirplus?

-