Re: NFSv4/pNFS possible POSIX I/O API standards

Trond Myklebust wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 10:07 +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
...and we have pointed out how nicely this ignores the realities of
current caching models. There is no need for a  readdirplus() system
call. There may be a need for a caching barrier, but AFAICS that is all.
I think Andreas mentioned that it is useful for clustered filesystems
that can avoid additional roundtrips this way.  That alone might now
be enough reason for API additions, though.  The again statlite and
readdirplus really are the most sane bits of these proposals as they
fit nicely into the existing set of APIs.  The filehandle idiocy on
the other hand is way of into crackpipe land.

They provide no benefits whatsoever for the two most commonly used
networked filesystems NFS and CIFS. As far as they are concerned, the
only new thing added by readdirplus() is the caching barrier semantics.
I don't see why you would want to add that into a generic syscall like
readdir() though: it is
a) networked filesystem specific. The mask stuff etc adds no
        value whatsoever to actual "posix" filesystems. In fact it is
        telling the kernel that it can violate posix semantics.

It isn't violating POSIX semantics if we get the calls passed as an extension to POSIX :).

        b) quite unnatural to impose caching semantics on all the
        directory _entries_ using a syscall that refers to the directory
        itself (see the explanations by both myself and Peter Staubach
        of the synchronisation difficulties). Consider in particular
        that it is quite possible for directory contents to change in
        between readdirplus calls.

I want to make sure that I understand this correctly. NFS semantics dictate that if someone stat()s a file that all changes from that client need to be propagated to the server? And this call complicates that semantic because now there's an operation on a different object (the directory) that would cause this flush on the files?

Of course directory contents can change in between readdirplus() calls, just as they can between readdir() calls. That's expected, and we do not attempt to create consistency between calls.

        i.e. the "strict posix caching model' is pretty much impossible
        to implement on something like NFS or CIFS using these
        semantics. Why then even bother to have "masks" to tell you when
        it is OK to violate said strict model.

We're trying to obtain improved performance for distributed file systems with stronger consistency guarantees than these two.

        c) Says nothing about what should happen to non-stat() metadata
        such as ACL information and other extended attributes (for
        example future selinux context info). You would think that the
        'ls -l' application would care about this.

Honestly, we hadn't thought about other non-stat() metadata because we didn't think it was part of the use case, and we were trying to stay close to the flavor of POSIX. If you have ideas here, we'd like to hear them.

Thanks for the comments,

Rob
-