Re: ShaolinMicro CogoFS

> would you really want to trust your data to a filesystem that is closed?
> To a filesystem that isn't easily supported by newer kernels (or even
> kernels with hot security fixes)? I at least won't.

it depends. millions of people also trust their data to ntfs, and that is closed source, too.
i also need to run microsoft servers - sure - i`d be happy if i could replace them with linux.....

with the kernel-updates you are right: i don`t want to be dependend of a vendor - if i update my kernel and cogofs breaks because of this, i don`t want to wait for the vendor to fix this.
it maybe not easy to develop a filesystem, but if i look at the cogofs homepage, the official version is still for kernel 2.4 and a version for 2.6 is just ahead after 2.6 being in business for quite some time.....

> > the vendor is developing quite nice stuff for linux, but it`s understandable that he needs to live from that - so no open source.
>
> There's enough people who make money on open source.... that's not an
> argument.

i cannot tell for myself how hard it is to make your daily bread and butter from opensource, i`m no programmer and never worked self employed.

> > is there any good collection of arguments to make a vendor re-think his strategy and open up the source of their application?
>
> One is to suggest him to talk to a good lawyer... often people who do
> binary modules come back from that white in the face and change things
> quickly ;) Another one is just refusing to buy from him until it's open.
> If everyone does that.... he'll get the message.

sounds a little bit evangelistic, doesn`t it ?
yes there is an open-source world, but there is a closed source world, too.
i wished everything was open source, but unfortunately that isn`t how this world works....
i don`t want to restart that "binary is all evil"-thread again, all i want is linux having a production ready filesystem with transparent compression.

came across a real interesting thread at:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=113934168811645&w=2

please mind the TLD of the author`s email adress

roland