Re: hardened chroot()

Majkls wrote:
Hello,
is there possibility to add hardened chroot() to linux kernel? I have
some patch and I would like submit it into linux-kernel. Now can be
chroot workarounded. What do you think about it?

I wrote one a few years ago, but there seemed to be no interest in it.

My conception was based on that observation that a chroot "point" really only deals with path walking and basically says that at this point ".." is the same as ".". Therefore, all we need are a linked list of "chroot points" and just like the current follow_dotdot() function tests if the current directory is the "root", one can just have it loop through the entire list of chroot points.

The idea was to enable root processes to run within a chroot environment, and even call chroot().

In Linux today, it might be better solved via setting up an alternative namespace.

-