Re: Urgent help needed on an NFS question, please help!!!

>But your points seem to be valid as long as you can give more details
>on "some file systems". ;-)

I don't think I can do that.  I couldn't even list ALL the filesystem
types, much less tell which ones are implemented which way -- in which
versions of Linux.  I'd embarass myself if I tried.  I can barely remember
the generalities; I don't find the actual filesystem type inventory to be
very interesting myself.

If you're willing to build something that doesn't work with Linux
filesystems in general, but just works with the "important" ones, then it
makes more sense to go the other way -- identify the ones you care about
and ask if they fit the assumptions you require.  I believe ext3
everywhere it exists today meets your expectations for inodes and device
numbers -- if you add some conditions so that the device number -
filesystem association is permanent.

Again being general, but a little less, I can say that the inode
assumption clearly doesn't work on a system that has more than 4G files. I
would suspect the various supercomputing cluster filesystems, and I heard
a long time ago AFS broke the 32 bit inode number barrier.  Filesystems
imported from non-Unix places often have trouble synthesizing a Unix inode
number.

Finding a filesystem without a useful normal device number to identify it
is a lot easier.  Any filesystem that doesn't live by design on a single
disk device: network filesystem, distributed filesystem, multi-volume
filesystem, non-storage filesystem (like proc), or unconventional storage
filesystem such as ramfs or tmpfs.

--
Bryan Henderson                     IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA                         Filesystems

-