Filesystem Mutation Tool

Hi all,

As I might've mentioned to a few of you at OLS, I've hacked up a quick
and dirty program to study the effects of what happens to a filesystem
when certain blocks mutate underneath it (think malice, your RAID5
controller goes berserk, etc).  Said program is now posted in a crude
form here:

http://sweaglesw.net/~djwong/programs/fs_mutate/

I've run this program against ext3 and reiserfs; so far, ext3 seems to
be the stability winner, as it tends to stay up the longest (about 30-35
minutes) even with destroy mode turned on.  reiserfs lasts a few minutes
under such a beating.  Of course, "stays up" is a long way from "works
properly" -- overwriting things like indirect blocks has the rather
amusing effect of generating lots of messages about falling off the end
of a drive.  As with the folks who used carefully crafted ISO9660
filesystems to crash arbitrary machines demonstrated last year, it's not
so hard to get Linux to automount filesystems.  To my knowledge,
nobody's tried a similar thing against the other filesystems, though I
could just be ignorant.

What do you think?  Useful tool?  Or am I the one being the tool? ;)

--D
-