Re: Kernel Panic in ext3

Erik Mouw wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 12:36:52PM +0200, Loiseleur Michel wrote:
>
>>     I work with a Red Hat AS kernel (2.6.9-11-smp) on a bi-proc AMD.
>>

> Ask Red Hat for support.

I am the support, or more correct, I try to be it :).
>> I had a kernel panic this night, you will find an extract of the
>> /var/log/messages in the attached file. The server is a backup one, and
>> it was during really big batch processing. you will see too that's SMART
>> seems wrong, the hdds are not so hot.
>>

> The temperature attribute doesn't have to tell the temperature in
> degrees Celcius (or Fahrenheit). There's sometimes a little calculation
> needed to get to something humans understand. hddtemp can do that for
> you.

thanks for the tip.

>>     I have looked at the code and all seems to be in fs/ext3. It "seems"
>> that during an " ext3_ordered_writepage"
in fs/ext3/inode.c:1262,
>> the fs tries to walk along the
>> page (walk_page_buffers) but he can't because the "page" is null. that's
>> what the trace told me.
>>
>>     My first idea is to correct it with something like this :
>> if (!page)
>>   goto out_fail;
>>

>>     But I feel that's not the good way or maybe my thought is wrong. Is
>> there an ext3 maintener in the plane ? :)
>>

> There are, but...
>

>> Aug  4 01:08:09 ju kernel: Modules linked in: nfsd exportfs lockd sunrpc basp(U) md5 ipv6 i2c_dev i2c_core dm_mod button battery ac hw_random e1000 floppy ext3 jbd raid1 aic7xxx sd_mod scsi_mod
>> Aug  4 01:08:09 ju kernel: CPU:    0
>> Aug  4 01:08:09 ju kernel: EIP:    0060:[<f891bc87>]    Tainted: P      VLI
>>

> Your kernel is tainted by a proprietary module (I guess the "basp"
> module) so it's impossible to debug your problem. The only one able to
> debug your problem is the vendor of that proprietary module.

Oops, I didn't notice it. After some search, I saw it's a module for
load-balancing over network made by broadcom. basp stands for "Broadcom
Advanced Server Program". More info here :
http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/linux/linuxasp996release.txt.
It don't seem to be related to my problem, but I will remove it, I don't
need it anyway.

Thanks for your advice,

--
Loiseleur Michel - TM2L (08000LINUX)