Re: Can someone explain under what condition inode cache pages can be swapped out?

Linux doesn't swap any kernel memory.  That's a major characteristic of
Linux, in comparison to other operating systems.

Here, swapping means writing a page to swap space to free up the page
frame it was in, and faulting it back in from swap space when someone
references the page.

>If my understanding is right, inode cache shrinker only frees the
>reclaimable inodes, which means, if a lot of files are opened when
>shrinker is activated, the shrinker may not find sufficient
>reclaimable inodes to free enough space. What will Linux do under such
>condition?

It will free some other memory instead.  If it can't find any, it will
terminate processes until it does.  If it still can't, the kernel crashes.

That's part of why the rlimit on open files is important.

--
Bryan Henderson                     IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA                         Filesystems

-