Some notes on on-line repair

Tom Van Vleck sent me some notes on on-line file system repair in
Multics.  While it seems highly unlikely we can actually implement
these ideas in a Linux file system, I thought there might be some
useful considerations or lessons learned from their experience.  I
simply haven't had the time to read the article and so I'm forwarding
it to this list in the hopes that someone will have time to read it
and bring to our attention any interesting data from it.  Thanks!

-VAL

----- Forwarded message from Tom Van Vleck <thvv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -----

Hello Val,

The draft salvager article is at
   http://www.multicians.org/salvagers.html

It starts out ok and gradually gets incoherent.
Suggestions welcome on what is unclear to you.

That article links to the Multics Storage System PLM,
known as AN61.  This is a very well written document
about the internals of that long ago virtual memory
system, including its file system support.  I have been
planning to OCR this pdf document so that it can become
visible to search engines and be of more use.

It will be interesting to see how Linux file systems
evolve.  With different requirements and different
constraints, they will surely go in directions we
couldn't have imagined back in the 70s.

regards, tom

----- End forwarded message -----
-