Re: Reiser4 Inclusion

>Complaints about interface churn for filesystems (or anything else,
>actually, since an architecture, such as UML, is exposed to nearly the
>entire kernel) are imcomprehensible to me.

They're easily comprehensible to me.  A few years ago, I was maintaining
an experimental filesystem drivers and keeping up with the interface
changes was a big pain to me.  This was 2.4.10 and later and up through
about 2.6.10, kernel.org, Red Hat, and Suse.  The biggest pain was trying
to maintain code that would work in multiple kernel versions, since I had
users who wanted to use it with multiple versions.  The actual amount of
work to adapt to a new version usually wasn't extensive -- a few hours.
But the disruption itself was enough to complain about.  In the early 2.6
versions, the changes were immense.  I think 2.6.1 -> 2.6.3 was a couple
of days of design and coding and a few weeks of shaking bugs out.

The bulk of the problematic changes were in the virtual memory system
(used, as in most filesystem drivers, for cache and mmap).

I had a standard to compare against that many Linux developers don't, and
it may have enhanced my ability to complain.  I was maintaining
essentially the same code for AIX.  AIX is a whole different world,
because people don't have the source code and can't submit code to be
distributed and maintained by the AIX developers.  Consequently, it has a
rock solid binary kernel module interface.  There are also far fewer
versions of AIX around than of Linux.  So I never changed my code for AIX
versions unless I wanted to exploit a new feature, and in that case, there
was always a convenient facility for making the code work on older AIXes
without the feature.

I'm not arguing that Linux's philosophy on kernel module interfaces is
wrong; I'm just saying it's easy to comprehend why people would complain
about it.

--
Bryan Henderson                     IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA                         Filesystems

-