Re: "Why Reuser 4 still is not in" doc

>Writing a plugin (not necessarily r4 specific) that changes the semantics

>of objects based on context (i.e. turning a file into a dir) is a bad
idea
>IMHO.

I'm with you on that, but I don't believe the Reiser4 plugins that have
been proposed do that.  In fact, I'm not sure they could, because the
plugin probably doesn't get much context information.

In the file/directory thing, we're really talking about a filesystem
object which is both at the same time, not one that is one or the other
depending on context.  Being both at the same time causes some problems
with classifying it.  When a product is both a floor wax and a dessert
topping, on what aisle do you stock it?

The idea of having standard Unix filesystem operations mean different
things on different objects is well established and fully user-pluggable.
A write() of a device special file for a terminal does a rather different
thing from a write() of a regular file.  And, of course, there's proc.

So there are valid objections to installing a plugin that lets you 'ls' a
tar file, but Reiser4 plugins per se don't seem to be the problem.

>Actually, BSD has this double-semantic to a limited degree: you can call
>`/usr/bin/vi /usr/bin` and get some binary representation of readdir.

I think that's actually more of a vestige than an innovation.  Linux is
more evolved in failing an attempt to read() a directory.  In original
Unix, the directory system was almost completely separate from the flat
file system, with each directory being implemented as a file.  It would
have taken work _not_ to let the user read() it.  This was very bad for
forward compatibility, and was one of the ways that it's apparent that the
designers couldn't make up their mind whether the directory layer should
be separate or not.

--
Bryan Henderson                     IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA                         Filesystems

-