Re: Developing a Distributed File System

--- Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jul 09, 2006  22:23 -0700, UZAIR LAKHANI wrote:
> > Our team want to develop a distributed file
> system, a
> > file system like NFS or in other words a remote
> file
> > access system.
>
> First you need to explain why you want to develop a
> new distributed file system?  What is wrong with any
> of the existing filesystems?

Hello All,
Thanks for the reply. Basically we want to move
towards developing a fail-over and high performance
cluster file system. Although in the simplest design
in which there will be a master server and a backup
server.

Therefore we first have to figure out the issues
involved in a distributed file system (single server
and multiple clients).

You may have noticed earlier that I had asked
questions regarding the definition of a cluster file
system. This was for the same reason.

> > Since both linux and fs (especially a distributed
> one)
> > are new to me, I want help in this regard that how
> > start this development of a prototype and which
> > documents/books to study for this purpose.
>
> This is by no means an easy task to start with.  How
> about
> fixing some bug or simple feature to implement on an
> existing filesystem (even a local one) before
> tackling
> the hardest problem first?
>
> Cheers, Andreas
> --