Re: [autofs] [ANNOUNCE] autofs 5.0.0 beta5 beta release

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Peter C. Norton wrote:

> Using auto.master will break NIS+ (and possibly sql-based nsswich
> modules, if there are any in real use), which uses auto_master since
> "." is used as the namespace heirarchy separator. If you're going to
> assume a name, you may want to see if there's a per-nameservice way of
> specifying the map/schema/table to look up.

Yes.

We've been to and fro on this several times now.
And as you point out the issue is likely to come up again.

There is a conflict between compatibility and supporting the naming of
previous versions of Linux autofs.

At the moment I'm making the assumption that people that use nisplus will
change the autofs configuration default for the master map name in their
post install scripts during the build process. I expect that many builds
would customise the default master map itself as well.

In the autofs config:

DEFAULT_MASTER_MAP_NAME="auto_master"

is all that's needed, but yes I know it's a hastle.

-