Re: Choosing and tuning Linux file systems

Hi,

> Laptop: ext3 with noatime
> General purpose server: ext3 or reiser
> Lots of small files: reiser, ext2/3 with 1k blocks
> More than ~32,000 files in one directory: XFS or reiser

this part probably predates htree in ext3... or does it?

> Choosing block size
>  - You can do this at mkfs time
>  - tradeoff is space wasted vs. max file/fs size (other considerations?)

"page size" is optimal for the VM basically, since the VM page == FS
block case becomes real simple in terms of write back of dirty pages.

> Laptop mode
>  - I know almost nothing about this... some kind of write timeout?

actually it's not really (although usually when people say "laptop mode"
they include the increase of various writeback timeouts)
The key idea behind laptop mode is that IF you write (or read), and thus
spin the disk up, you should use the opportunity to write back all
pending stuff, with the idea that you can use that to prevent future
spinups of the disk that way (eg when the timer on that data expires).
Think of it like scheduling a "sync" about half a second after each IO
completion (although that's too simplistic).

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven

-