Re: petabyte class archival filestore wanted/proposed

On Jun 22, 2006  09:43 -0700, Jeff Anderson-Lee wrote:
> I'm part of a project at University of California Berkeley that is
> trying to put together a predominantly archival file system for petabyte
> class data stores using Linux with clusters of commodity server
> hardware.  We currently have multiple terabytes of hardware on top of
> which we intend to build such a system.  However, our hope is that the
> end system would be useful for a wide range of users from someone with 3
> large disk or three disk servers to groups with 3 or more distributed
> storage sites.
>
> Main Goals/Features:
>    1) Tapeless: maintain multiple copies on disk (minimize
> backup/restore lag)
>    2) "Mirroring" across remote sites: for disaster recovery (we sit on
> top of  the Hayward Fault)
>    3) Persistent snapshots: as archival copies instead of
> backup/restore scanning
>    4) Copy-On-Write: in support of snapshots/archives
>    5) Append-mostly log structured file system: make synchronization of
> remote mirrors easier (tail the log).
>    6) Avoid (insofar as possible) single point of failure and
> bottlenecks (for scalability)
>
> I've looked into the existing file systems I know about, and none of
> them seem to fit the bill.

> Before we begin however, it is important to find out:
>    1) Is there anything sufficiently like this to either (a) use
> instead, or (b) start from.
>    2) Is there community support for insertion in the main kernel tree
> (without which it is just another toy project)?
>    3) Anyone care to join in (a) design, (b) implementation, or (c)
> testing?

Lustre isn't quite where you want to be yet, but features like mirroring
(closer), snapshots, and disconnected operation+resync (further out) are
all on our roadmap.

Lustre is GPL.  If you are interested to contribute to it we are happy
to work with you.  There is a "lustre.org" (non-CFS Lustre development)
planning session next week in Boulder, CO (and telecon) that you could
join in if you are interested.  Please email pbojanic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx if
you are interested.

Cheers, Andreas
--