Re: [NFS] Re: [RFC] Multiple server selection and replicated mount failover

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 10:04 -0400, Peter Staubach wrote:
> Ian Kent wrote:
>

> >Of course, like #1 but with the benefits of #2 without the clutter. I
> >guess all I would have to do then is the vfs mount to make it happen.
> >Are we assuming a restriction like all the mounts have the same path
> >exported from the server? mtab could get a little confused.
> >

> I don't think that this needs to be restricted like this.  I think that
> it would be nice if mtab just showed the arguments which were used to
> the mount command, ie. with all of the server and path combinations listed
> just like they were on the command line or in the autofs map.
>

> >But I'm not supposed to peek at that am I (cough, splutter, ...)?
> >

> Yes, I know.  I am trying to figure out how much of the architecture and
> implementation that I can talk about too...  :-)
>
> >Cool. That's the way the selection code I have works, except for the
> >kernel bit of course.
> >

> Good news!

It's in autofs 5 now. The idea is that it will work for any mount
string, replicated syntax or not. So there's no extra mucking around.

I hope to push it into mount and provide a configure option to disable
it in autofs if mount can do it instead.

> >Yep. Failing over the locks looks like it could turn into a nightmare
> >really fast. Sounds like a good simplifying restriction for a first stab
> >at this.
> >

> Agreed.
>
> >Interesting. This hadn't occurred to me yet.
> >
> >I was still at the stage of wondering whether the "on demand" approach
> >would work but the simplifying restriction above should make it workable
> >(I think ....).
> >

> I think that simple is good.  We can always get more complicate later, if
> need be.  (Hope not...  :-) )
>
> >>The key ingredient to this approach, I think, is a list of servers and
> >>information about them, and then information for each active NFS inode
> >>that keeps track of the pathname used to discover the file handle and
> >>also the server which is being currently used by the specific file.
> >>

> >Haven't quite got to the path issues yet.
> >But can't we just get the path from d_path?
> >It will return the path from a given dentry to the root of the mount, if
> >I remember correctly, and we have a file handle for the server.
> >
> >But your talking about the difficulty of the housekeeping overall I
> >think.
> >

> Yes, I was specifically trying to avoid talking about how to manage the
> information.  I think that that is an implementation detail, which is
> better left until after the high level architecture is defined.

Yep.

> >>    Thanx...
> >>

> >Thanks for your comments.
> >Much appreciated and certainly very helpful.
> >

> You're welcome.
>
> I can try to talk more about the architecture and implementation that I am
> familiar with, if you like.

Any and all information is good.
Food for thought will give me something to eat!

Ian

-