Inode Handling in Client/Server Environment

Hello All,

Consider a situation of a filesystem having a single
server and a single client. Since the actual files and
directories are on the server, therefore the actual
inodes are present on server but since client will
also need inode information in different cases e.g.
one may be the case of changing negative dentries into
positive.

I want to find out if I have to bring each and every
inode on server to client machine. If yes then I also
need to make room for storing these inodes (meta data)
on client side. Additionally I can cache these inodes
but again I will get the size problem regarding how
many inodes can be cached.

Which approach will be best. Actually storing inodes
on client or caching these inodes on client side.

Thanks,

--
Uzair Mehdi Lakhani