Re: How To Recover Files From ext3 Partition??

--- Erik Mouw <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 07:18:38AM -0700, UZAIR
> LAKHANI wrote:
> > Is there any way to recover the deleted files from
> > folder in ext3 partition. Basically in one
> directory,
> > I gave the command (rm -rf *) and all the files
> and
> > folders of this directory are lost. How to recover
> > these. I had once found an article regarding
> > un-deleting ext2 files.
>
> It *should* work the same, though the the last time
> I tried such a
> recovery from and ext3 filesystem, ext3 made it
> particularly hard cause
> it zeros most of the inode on delete (including
> ext3_inode->i_block[]).
> Ext2 leaves much more information behind.
>
> You could try with the undelfs feature in Midnight
> Commander, but first
> be sure to mount the filesystem read-only in order
> to avoid any further
> changes.
>

> Erik

Hello All,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is difficult to recover
files from ext3 as compared to ext2. I found this
helpful info from one website.

Q: How can I recover (undelete) deleted files from my
ext3 partition?
Actually, you can't! This is what one of the
developers, Andreas Dilger, said about it:
In order to ensure that ext3 can safely resume an
unlink after a crash, it actually zeros out the block
pointers in the inode, whereas
ext2 just marks these blocks as unused in the block
bitmaps and marks the inode as "deleted" and leaves
the block pointers alone.

Your only hope is to "grep" for parts of your files
that have been deleted and hope for the best.

[Source] =
http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html

Additionally where can I get the source for Midnight
Commander.

Thanks,
Uzair Lakhani